Attention Autism is an intervention programme created by Gina Davies, specialist speech and language therapist. The Attention Autism programme targets the teaching of natural and spontaneous communication, attention and social interaction skills through the use of visually based and highly motivating activities.
Gina's primary focus of Attention Autism sessions is that they are fun and "offer an irresistible invitation to learn"!
The Aims of Attention Autism
As well as the ultimate goal of developing natural and spontaneous communication skills, there are several other aims that Attention Autism strives to achieve. These include:
- To engage attention.
- To improve joint attention.
- To develop shared enjoyment in group activities.
- To increase attention in adult-led activities.
- To encourage spontaneous interaction in a natural group setting.
- To increase non-verbal and verbal communication through commentary.
- To build a wealth and depth of vocabulary.
- Most importantly, to have fun
Please see the following document for a more in depth explanation of Attention Autism and how to implement it at home...